Re: [Tails-dev] interesting free tablet

Author: Zlatan Todoric
To: sajolida, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] interesting free tablet

On 05/23/2016 06:27 PM, sajolida wrote:
> intrigeri:
>> If you want to go this way, we'll need to look into the details
>> regarding how to properly install Tails on a microSD card, in a way
>> that scales up to many devices. Some problems need to be tackled in
>> this area, but nothing impossible.
>>
>> Now, we do have certain reservations regarding shipping preinstalled
>> Tails (https://tails.boum.org/support/faq/#preinstalled), so we would
>> need to find a way to communicate clearly to the users 1. who they are
>> trusting (or not) when they use the Tails that comes installed on the
>> aforementioned microSD card; 2. how to re-install Tails on that
>> microSD card, in a way that avoids any such trust issues (we have
>> pretty good doc for that). The way I see it, it's a mere matter of
>> communication, but other project members might feel differently.
> Definitely, this would require a very long collective discussion before
> we can consider be happy with having companies shipping preinstalled
> Tails in a commercial product. I personally would rather spend that time
> discussing how to make installing Tails easier and more secure for
> everybody.
>
>> Still, there's the freshness problem given we release every six weeks,
>> and I doubt that your supply chain can guarantee that only up-to-date
>> Tails are shipped to the user (and even if that was possible, the
>> shipping delay can be enough to make it untrue again). Thankfully we
>> have quite user-friendly automatic updates, so this problem isn't as
>> bad for microSD as it would be for preinstalled DVDs.
> Until we have #7499 [1] ("full-self upgrade"), receiving an SD card that
> has been flashed 6 months ago means today, upgrading 9 times in a row,
> restarting and reconnecting to Tor each time, which probably takes more
> time and definitely generates more frustration than downloading a fresh
> ISO and burning a DVD.
>
> [1]: https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7499

The offer of preinstallation is optional, we don't force it nor we
intend to do it without community behind, that was just my offer
thinking it can benefit Tails because of donations. I assume the only
important thing from original mails was - is it Fee enough to run Tails
without issues, where I think I made it clear - it can run Debian main
with out of the box functionality for everything, so anything that is
based on Debian main archive is good to go - of course we choose to go
with GNOME Shell as default for pretty much obvious reasons (the thing
is made for tablets!) :)

Cheers,

zlatan