Re: [Tails-dev] interesting free tablet

Author: Chris
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] interesting free tablet

> Pretty much yes, you can try with different protocols (wireless card
> should be able to emit them all except the ac one) but, most users
> live happily with their Librem laptops even with this flaky WiFi
> connection. Other solution would be to find the guy who worked on
> ath10k (as he left company AFAIK) and ask politely to help us on this
> issue ;). Btw, I have seen some pretty small WiFi dongles if people
> have issues with it (notice we now also offer Librem laptops without
> wireless card for people that want airgapped devices).

As I said before that isn't an option. Atheros has changed course and is
not cooperating on ath10k. I know the people and developers whom made it
possible to get code released for prior firmwares. I was *personally*
responsible for getting them to release the ath9k-htc firmware code and
that was only possible because the developers were *interested in it if
we worked with them and because the had experience getting Atheros to
release code*. One of these people were hired by Atheros after a
backlash many years ago. Atheros wasn't releasing any drivers for its
wifi chipsets at that time and Luis reverse engineered the chipset to
produce a driver. Anyway I have personally talked to the *developers*
who worked on ath10k and they flat out said they will not be releasing
the ath10k code. Management also doesn't get it. The old management is
gone and the new management would have to be convinced all over again.
The current thinking by management is that because they named it ath10k
they'll have the same successes with it as they did with ath9k
completely failing to understand why people bought into ath9k in the
first place.