Re: [Tails-dev] interesting free tablet

Author: intrigeri
To: Zlatan Todoric
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] interesting free tablet
Hi,

Zlatan Todoric wrote (21 May 2016 10:24:37 GMT) :
> Intrigeri being my friend, and Tails being used by Edward Snowden during the
> whistleblow, I already talked inside company to add it to our offer

Excellent :)

> but the issue
> here is that people seem to be usually using tails on USB drive for only live usage.
> If you can create OEM installation for us, we would be happy to add it to our offer
> (I already asked Debian to do this and they will provide it). Benefit is that from
> every Librem sold with Tails, Tails community would get donation from Purism.

We don't support installing Tails on internal drives, and we actually
have code in place to ensure that Tails won't load from there
(https://tails.boum.org/support/faq/#install_permanently): the idea is
to enable users to _not_ trust whatever may be on the hard disk of the
machine they're starting Tails on. So an OEM installation on the
SSD/eMMC isn't an option, I think.

*However*, I see that the Librem tablets will have a microSD card
reader. Assuming that it's left free, and that the firmware is able to
boot off a microSD card, then I think that booting Tails on a microSD
card is the perfect solution, both for users and for you folks: from
a UX perspective, this allows one to leave the USB port available for
other use cases; and from your perspective, this allows to ship
tablets with _both_ Tails and PureOS, thus leaving the choice up to
the user to pick whichever they need at each boot, all this for a very
small additional cost :)

If you want to go this way, we'll need to look into the details
regarding how to properly install Tails on a microSD card, in a way
that scales up to many devices. Some problems need to be tackled in
this area, but nothing impossible.

Now, we do have certain reservations regarding shipping preinstalled
Tails (https://tails.boum.org/support/faq/#preinstalled), so we would
need to find a way to communicate clearly to the users 1. who they are
trusting (or not) when they use the Tails that comes installed on the
aforementioned microSD card; 2. how to re-install Tails on that
microSD card, in a way that avoids any such trust issues (we have
pretty good doc for that). The way I see it, it's a mere matter of
communication, but other project members might feel differently.

Still, there's the freshness problem given we release every six weeks,
and I doubt that your supply chain can guarantee that only up-to-date
Tails are shipped to the user (and even if that was possible, the
shipping delay can be enough to make it untrue again). Thankfully we
have quite user-friendly automatic updates, so this problem isn't as
bad for microSD as it would be for preinstalled DVDs.

>> Zlatan, will PureOS for this tablet include any additional driver,
>> firmware or kernel patch that's not in Debian, e.g. for touchscreen,
>> sound, backlight, 3G and various sensors?

> Nope, PureOS is based on Debian testing main and my task was to find hardware that
> can satisfy that request (even though supply chains like to make mistakes, we would
> just refuse and continue our research and work on it).

Sounds good, thanks for clarifying! So yeah, that could be the first
tablet I see with proper hardware support on Debian and Tails (modulo
the Wi-Fi issue discussed below). Lovely :)

> Regarding 3G and other
> cellular things - we made space for them but of course they will not work until FLOSS
> gets there and than we would be able to enable such things without "forcing" people
> to buy new devices.

OK.

>> In particular, the section about "Freed Wireless AC Driver" makes me
>> wonder: until that driver is freed, how exactly can one use Wi-Fi with
>> a Librem tablet?

> The wireless is the same as in laptops, so the connection will be N, thus free
> driver. Stretch goal is to free AC (ath10k particular here in mind) as N is unstable
> and not the best (if you move 10m from AP there is a good chance you're loose
> connection).

Hmm, OK. That's somewhat suboptimal, even though one may of course
plug a USB Wi-Fi dongle in (keeping in mind that a tablet with
a protruding USB device is somewhat less usable). Are 802.11b and
802.11g affected by the same stability problem?