Re: [Tails-testers] Call for testing new tools and instructi…

Author: u
To: tails-testers
Subject: Re: [Tails-testers] Call for testing new tools and instructions to get started with Tails
Hi,

sajolida:

> Over 2015, we have worked very hard to make this process easier and
> today we are happy to release a first beta version of the new
> process.

Congrats!

> /!\ We know this beta version is not perfect. We still have many
> details to improve but we wanted to give you all an opportunity to
> try it out before it replaces the current documentation on the
> website.
>
> If you're ready to give it a try, visit:
>
> https://tails.boum.org/install/

My general impression is good!

But some thoughts obviously popped up:

An enhancement idea: Why not add a small fixed/sticky menu to each page
so that we know how many steps there are and at which step we are
currently situated? Or a sort of progress bar, as for example on
numerama.com (click on any article and scroll).

I'd merge the "Congrats/Cool/Yeah"-Boxes with the images of
"Intermediary Tails", as otherwise it looks like a shelf full with boxes :)

Is it on purpose that for "Downloading the ISO image" I get _only_ the
option of using the Firefox extension? No small fallback link if I do
_not_ want to install the ISO or fail to do so for some reason (might it
be that I am at the university and have no rights to install anything on
the computer)?

The cut-off header looks weird, although it might be a certain style,
but I'd expect this to look like the website, and this feels like it's
not on purpose somehow.

Some other small remarks, you might already be aware of, sorry for the
noise if that's the case:

* You can "Install from Ubuntu" or "Install from another Linux (Redhat,
Fedora)". Why not write "Install from Ubuntu<br /><small>or any Debian
based Linux distribution</small>" instead?
* "Install from Mac" is simply called "Mac", shouldn't this be "Install
from Mac OS X" instead?
* "Install from windows" should be written with a capital W.
* The temporary-tails-clone image seems to never load, probably a wrong URL.

Keep up the great work :)
Cheers!
u.