[Tails-ux] Results of UX tests on Greeter

Author: Spencer
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Results of UX tests on Greeter
Hi,

>> sajolida:
>> At the beginning of the month, we organized together with Lunar from
>> Tor
>> a UX testing session of the last prototype of Tails Greeter

Yay!

>> designed by

Everyone :)

>> I wanted to say that the new Greeter is awesome!

Yay for this, too!

>> The actual results come in two forms

Awesome on both!

>> [4]: "Keyboard layout"
>>
>> Someone thought that "keyboard" was referring to the type of keyboard
>> (USB, BlueTooth) or drivers, etc. Using "Keyboard layout" which is a
>> more common phrasing might help.

More than layout happens here it seems. I am all for using a common
name in short while refining logic to find a more suitable label.

Being presented with a list of languages should remove any presumption
that 'Keyboard' referred to the type. I think we can do better than what
we tested but it is a slippery slope to curate experiences to every
level of cognition.

We need more tests :)

>> [5]: Split keyboard variant
>>
>> The list of different keyboard layouts is very long and people were
>> forced to go through it
>>

> Lunar:
> split the selection with two dropdown: Region and then City.
>
> This could also be a solution for language selection.

Will explore.

>> [7]: Formats
>>
>> Many people referred to disliking the
>> American date formats :)

I think you mean US (MDY), since Central and South America use the same
format structure as most of Europe. In Canada, all three formats are
used :)

If tested in half of the world your finding will be reproducable :)

DMY it is then, yeah? Only in conversation is DMY often broken;
reading is working and as far as I can tell Tails doesn't talk.

>> [8]: Redesign help button
>>
>> Nobody clicked on the help button [?] and the only person who felt
>> like
>> he needed help, looked for it and didn't find it. It needs to be
>> redesigned.

It needs tested with more people. One person isn't a reasonable sample
size.

>> [9]: Allow changing timezone in session
>>
>> Many people were not configuring the time zone in the Greeter ...
>> We already have plans for solving this from the desktop.

Will you point me to this?

>> [17]: Improve camouflage wording + screenshot
>>
>> First of all, it seemed to be confirmed that the Windows camouflage
>> will
>> be removed from Tails Jessie (January 26). Still, if we get it back
>> somehow, the way it is presented in the Greeter should make it more
>> clear that this is about the visual appearance only (and not the
>> networking behavior for example).

'Desktop Camouflage' resolves this :) We can add more themes, making
'Windows Camouflage' more clear in this layered context. Obviously
there will be a list of one but let's be future proof with this and open
the door for Mac and Ubuntu (or whatever) to be built by some awesome
future contributor.

>> [18]: Click outside of the dialog closes the dialog
>>
>> One person was very confused about the overlay of the additional
>> settings dialog on top of the main window and had a very hard time
>> closing it. Clicking outside of the additional settings dialog should
>> close it.

By itslef, this is the worst functionality ever (iOS, like many other
things, functions like this), as disoverability is a wild presumption :(

However, if this is one of many ways to exit a dialog (say, in addition
to a 'Close X'), this is okay :)

>> [20]: Info bar about bridge configuration
>>
>> Everybody we had to configure a bridge was confused about the fact
>> that
>> the bridge information was not entered in the Greeter and was worried
>> about having made a mistake. We can't really change this now as that's
>> much more complex issue but for the time being we could add an info
>> bar
>> in the Greeter saying that the actual configuration will be done later
>> on.

Will you point me to the issue?

>> I propose that Alan and Spencer have a look at the rainbow table and
>> comment on the solutions I'm proposing. Once we agree on what needs to
>> be done we'll create Redmine tickets to solve each one of them.

Okay :) The only things that stand out [4] and [8] need more testing.
We should do a second test and see what overlaps. The only issue I see
is the freeze date in <2weeeks :(

I can organize this for early this coming week and have sharable results
by the end of the week; let me know. I would need your notes on how you
ran the session so as to most closely reproduce it. Otherwise, I have a
guide I use.

> intrigeri
> In passing, I wonder how the UX looks like after a non-Latin keyboard
> layout, that requires a specific input method, has been *successfully*
> selected (IBus support in the new Greeter?).

Me too :) If anyone can create this, please share some images.

Wordlife,
Spencer