[Tails-ux] Greeter revamp: prototype time?

Author: Spencer
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Greeter revamp: prototype time?
Hi,

> Alan:
> OK for the 2nd for more beautiful spaces.

Okay :)

> I propose to drop the label for now, unless there is a value for it.

Okay :)

> Most of these concepts aren't present in the Tor Browser I think. You
> icons looks unified with the GNOME desktop to me.

They could still help visually. No worries; once testing has seasoned
the concepts we will bust out an icon set. If you want to stay with
GNOME styling, no worries.

> Perhaps we can add a select mode, or add a
> "Reset to defaults" button in the popover/dialog to edit each function.

Select Mode allows for a more refined experience :)

> Should we try with that?

Maybe. 'Language', 'Localization', and 'Language and Region' are the
options; thoughts from others?

> Do you want to create an icon that wouldn't be confused with the
> locked/unlocked states?

This sounds interesting but I am unsure of what better represents
encrypted storage than the padlock (which ignores the storage part)
other than a box of some sort... searches aren't very fruitful :(

> unless we adopt the "Reset to defaults" approach for each setting as
> proposed above.

This doesn't support the removal of list items of choice (restricts
experiential freedom).

> I don't think that we should change our mind on hiding the settings.

Okay :)

> The shortened text you are proposing are unfortunately not very
> accurate technically... and I'm not sure we can do accurate *and*
> short.

Some are, such as 'Administrative Account (Provides SU access)' and 'MAC
Spoofing (Hardware Protection)' right?. Propose alternatives to
'Network Configuration (Connection Settings)' and 'Desktop Camouflage
(Virtual Mustache)', which still seem technically accurate.

> OK, so ve leave it as it was?

Yeah.

> Sort of, but encryption pass*phrases* must really be phrases, while
> admin access with a pass*word* is OKish...

Do you mean there is restriction coded into the function, such that
restricts length and stuff? If so, can we do the one that allows the
most freedom and just label it 'Passphrase'?

> The problem is that you propose a widget that, unless I'm mistaken,
> doesn't exist in GTK. Have you found working examples?

IDK. It seems like the label:

1. Is inside the field (or appears to be)
2. Has a background color

But it isn't important, so do what you think is best.

> OK, even though I don't see the wording changes in the attachment.

"the end of the second sentence, as seen here" was what I meant; my bad.

>> 'Network Configuration' state reads 'Direct' when connected directly
>> the Tor network; what would the other setting states read? Would
>> bridge, firewall, and proxy all share one label,
>>

> Yes.

What would it be?

Wordlife,
Spencer