[Tails-ux] Greeter revamp: prototype time?

Author: Spencer
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Greeter revamp: prototype time?
Hi,

> Alan:
> Yes, I was thinking of a control like that in each popover.
> Alternatively, we could just remove a setting from the custom settings
> if they are set to the default value.

I am uncertain about the alternative, as it maps particular settings to
'Default' instead of a combination of settings, which, when individually
selected, should not prompt the 'Default' label or anything signifyingly
similar.

> Not sure. What about "Administrative Account (perform administrative
> tasks)" (less jargon)

Yes; SU is unclear :)

Administrative Account (Perform Administrative Tasks)

> What about "MAC Spoofing (hardware addresses protection)".

MAC Spoofing (Hardware Address Protection)

> What about "Network Connection (bridge, firewall, proxy, or air-gap)"?

Network Connection (Bridge, Firewall, Proxy, or Air-gap)

> What is a mustache?

Moustache/mustache grows on your upper lip. In Canada they say:
Combien de temps ça t'a pris de faire pousser cette moustache?

> What about "Desktop Camouflage (looks like another
> operation system)"?

I liked "Go Incognito", as it was shorter and paints a picture of a
moustached man with sunglasses to some; are there any reservations with
this descriptor? Is it dynamically translatable?

Desktop Camouflage (Go Incognito)

Otherwise:

Desktop Camouflage (Look Like Another Computer)

It would be nice to have Network Connection have the longest string and
design around that. Also, it makes sense to title-case the
parenthetical text since it is part of a label.

> There is no restriction, but more entropy is required for a passphrase
> for an encrypted container than for an admin account.

But doesn't that have to do with the use of encryption, not the choice
of text?

> I think your proposal is good, but I don't know hot to implement it
> without creating a custom widget/css, which seems a bit overkill to me.

I am all for this but am also all for the underlying design/development
philosophy of not re-rolling the smoke, so no worries; left floating
labels is just fine :)

Wordlife,
Spencer