[Tails-ux] Privacy Popovers

Author: Spencer
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: [Tails-ux] Privacy Popovers
Hiya,

> Alan:
> Great job.

Thanks :)

> I'm not sure about the dialog to select the type of privacy setting.

What aren't you sure about?

> always question whether a dialog is necessary

We need a dialog of some kind to display setting type options, add them,
cancel, and provide added context with a description and/or label.

The secondary dialog that pops over the primary dialog (Greeter) is
taken from Tails 1.6 'System Settings' options.

Most other OSs have this functionality (displaying a smaller dialog)
when selecting a '+' button. Apple has a clear approach that most
closely resembles the notifications dialog in GNOME as far as spacial
relations go, though that only lets us address one thing at a time, not
a list.

> Perhaps a menu/popover could replace it?

Yes, presuming there is a place for the setting type options.

> Else, gnome-control-center has solved a similar problem with a dialog

This might be what I refer to above.

> Other issue, I think that displaying the full list of available options
> upfront, rather than having a drop down list would smooth the user
> experience by letting the user view the options and avoiding an
> unnecessary click

A larger dialog is a fantastic idea as long as it doesn't completely
cover the primary dialog (like the file browser when selecting
'Wallpapers'). How do you see the selection process going? In the
dialogs with a '+' button, the dropdown dialog seems to be a reasonable
way to que settings about to be added (like the 'Add Account' dialog in
'Online Accounts').

We could do something like the 'Select a Language' list popover but add
a check box and swap 'Select' out for 'Add', so people can batch add
privacy settings options.

> Popovers always have arrows, else they are dialogs. But perhaps on
> adding we should use a dialog (see above)

I see these all as dialogs > with popovers being one kind of dialog >
with direct relationship mapping being one kind of popover
(arrow/pointer) and contextual relationship mapping (remembering the
previous step) being another.

> I think all On/Off choices would be better selected by a Switch [2]

Why? And do you mean in place of a popover, or in place of the 'Yes/No'
buttons?

> I'm not sure if we can easily let the user choose more at the greeter
> stage. For now I think we should keep the two buttons, but I'll discuss
> with other developers to think about what would be feasible. What do
> you imagine you'd like to see there?

I haven't given it much thought other than maybe it might save time for
people (people have network preferences that they would immediately
address once passed the Greeter that conflicts with similar efforts
performed at the Greeter).

However, it seems that there has been some brainstorming on the matter
[0], so I thought it made sense to start addressing. If this is
something that can easily be upgraded once the Jessie build has
officially surfaced, then keeping the buttons as-is may make your work
more enjoyable.

Basically, if it breaks something, we should fix it now; otherwise,
after the new year will be just fine, yeah?

Wordlife,
Spencer

[0]:
https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-ux/2015-October/000659.html