Re: [Tails-ux] Language Popovers [was: Greeter revamp: proto…

Author: Alan
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Language Popovers [was: Greeter revamp: prototype time?]
Hi,

Spencer <spencerone@???> wrote:
> On 10/07/2015 15:23, Alan wrote:
> Attached [0] is an example of how the full 'Language' section popover
> dialog contents could appear.

Looks mostly great to me.

> A decision needs made on the listing order. In the example [0], the
> languages are ordered by their Native/Cultural name with the relevant
> localized name parenthetically following.

I think it's more logical to sort the language by their name localized
in the language in question itself, so that someone that doesn't know
the name of their language in english can find it.

> When a language preference is
> selected, the list order can either:
>
> - Update to the selected language preference with the native/cultural
> name parenthetically following: 'Cultural(Localized)' turns into
> 'Localized(Cultural)' (as shown in the attachment).

I think that the 1st item should stay the same for the same reason as
above: the if I choose a language I don't know by mistake I can still
find mine.

> - Do nothing: 'Cultural(Localized)' stays 'Cultural(Localized)' though
> the localized language updates to the selection.
>
> Updating the list order is what would be expected from people, since
> they just established their language preference. Not updating the list
> keeps code simple (I presume) and simplifies the mental model (though it
> is maybe less clear to interact with).

We could only update the localized name, which would always come 2nd?

> The 'Language' section function is to update all listed options when the
> 'Text Language' is changed. Each following option is individually
> changed without auto updating the others. Please confirm the
> correctness of this function presumption :)

Yes.

> Also, this uses an exhaustive list but without addressing dialects.

I'm not sure that dropping dialects like that works. In current Tails
we support all dialects.

Cheers