Re: [Tails-ux] Privacy Popovers

Author: Alan
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Privacy Popovers
Hi,

Spencer <spencerone@???> wrote:
> The secondary dialog that pops over the primary dialog (Greeter) is
> taken from Tails 1.6 'System Settings' options.
>
> Most other OSs have this functionality (displaying a smaller dialog)
> when selecting a '+' button.

I was questioning the dialog, but you seem to have reasonable
arguments for it, so let's go for it!

> > Other issue, I think that displaying the full list of available options
> > upfront, rather than having a drop down list would smooth the user
> > experience by letting the user view the options and avoiding an
> > unnecessary click
> >

> A larger dialog is a fantastic idea as long as it doesn't completely
> cover the primary dialog (like the file browser when selecting
> 'Wallpapers'). How do you see the selection process going?

I see: you click the "+", then you have a dialog:

|       Add custom privacy setting        |

| Please select your setting type         |
| +-------------------------------------+ |
| | Administrative account              | |
| +-------------------------------------+ |
| | MAC Spoofing                        | |
| +-------------------------------------+ |
| | Network configuration               | |
| +-------------------------------------+ |
| | Windows camouflage                  | |
| +-------------------------------------+ |

It's basically your proposal with one less click because all the list
is displayed. I don't think that it would cover the other window.

> In the
> dialogs with a '+' button, the dropdown dialog seems to be a reasonable
> way to que settings about to be added (like the 'Add Account' dialog in
> 'Online Accounts').

I propose exactly the way the "Add account" is in GNOME 3.18.

> > Popovers always have arrows, else they are dialogs. But perhaps on
> > adding we should use a dialog (see above)
> >

> I see these all as dialogs > with popovers being one kind of dialog >
> with direct relationship mapping being one kind of popover
> (arrow/pointer) and contextual relationship mapping (remembering the
> previous step) being another.

Makes sense too. As a programmer, I see Gtk.Popover are not a subclass
of Gtk.Window as Gtk.Dialog are, but now that I read you I see it makes
few difference for the user.

> > I think all On/Off choices would be better selected by a Switch [2]
>
> Why?

Because it's the standard way to select a boolean option.

> And do you mean in place of a popover, or in place of the 'Yes/No' buttons?

Only in place of the Yes/No button, in the popover.

I'll answer for the networks settings later.

Cheers