Re: [Tails-ux] User testing of the installation assistant, …

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] User testing of the installation assistant, ISO verification extension, and Tails Installer in Debian
Giorgio Maone:
>> ISO verification extension
>> ==========================
>>
>> Regarding the browser extension, on top of the working code, do you
>> think we could have the extension available in the Mozilla store
>> already?
>> Of course people won't be able to use it until we release the
>> corresponding web page, but during our tests it will be important to be
>> able to test the full procedure, so including the installation process.
>
> Yes, I'm an AMO editor myself and, based on my first hand knowledge of
> the review process and my experience, I'm confident that by keeping the
> code as obvious and simple to review as possible and by explaining why
> it needs an expedite review, I can have it approved within 24 hours from
> its submission.

Cool.

> The only issue might be allowing a Mozilla editor to run through the
> procedure in order to verify the add-on's stated purpose and that it
> actually works as advertised.
> Is this something that can be worked out (e.g. by giving him/her access
> to your staging server or whatever you use for testing)?

My plan was to have this first prototype of the installation assistant
(and new download page) actually available on the production website but
not linked from the website nor advertised anywhere. It would live under
https://tails.boum.org/install. Because unfortunately, we don't yet have
the infrastructure for a staging website yet.

This would bring our tests as close as the final setup as possible.