Re: [Tails-ux] Languages

Author: Lunar
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Languages
Spencer:
> Working through the Language section dropdowns I ran into some issues that
> needed some more thought [0]. I narrowed the options down to displaying, as
> a group:
>
>     Cultural Name (Localized Name)

> The context flow [1] helps to explain this but ultimately, this should be
> the most international (everybody else defaults to English). Not using
> locale is based on borders being a form of slavery.

The proposal contains a field to do quick search in the list of
languages using the keyboard. I think this is going to surprises some
users.

Keyboard layout selection comes *after* selecting the language in the
current proposal. So at the point where they select the language, for
many of them, there's a chance that pressing keys will behave
differently from what is labeled on their keyboard.

A possible idea: have an index by first letter on top of the list
instead of a free-form field. But it's probably a bad idea as it's too
latin-centric.

--
Lunar                                .''`.
lunar@???                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism