[Tails-ux] Languages

Author: Spencer
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Languages
Hi,

Working through the Language section dropdowns I ran into some issues
that needed some more thought [0]. I narrowed the options down to
displaying, as a group:

     Cultural Name (Localized Name)

The context flow [1] helps to explain this but ultimately, this should
be the most international (everybody else defaults to English). Not
using locale is based on borders being a form of slavery.

There is an issue with hover vs click, which should be A-B tested.

There is also an issue with the number of languages displayed. It is
often split into Major (name) and Minor (dialect) on a single screen,
such as in Fedora. Also, it is often split into Summary (common
languages) and All (an exhaustive list of all languages), such as in
Tails 1.6 :)

I think that we should keep what we have but update it. For example, we
have too many English names in the short list, and some others. It
would be more functional to have either a longer short list, like
Fedora, or have only the exhaustive list.

The issue for us with the Major and Minor list items is the
functionality of the popover, since it would result in a popover within
a popover. This is also the case with Summary and All. Maybe the list
can support disclosure triangles for localized dialects so we can get
this second layer of zoom/granularity?

Let me know what you think.

Wordlife,
Spencer