[Tails-ux] Languages

Author: Spencer
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Languages
Hi,

> Lunar:
> The proposal contains a field to do quick search in the list of
> languages using the keyboard. I think this is going to surprises some
> users.
>
> Keyboard layout selection comes *after* selecting the language in the
> current proposal. So at the point where they select the language, for
> many of them, there's a chance that pressing keys will behave
> differently from what is labeled on their keyboard.

This is an issue. Logically, text language comes first so you can read,
however, in our context, we could swap the order and have keyboard
language first; this presents an increased reading challenge, as text is
unreadable for a second step (though we do have icons for referential
support). This isn't a block, though, since we should be using the
cultural name for each language, so there's potentially limited
interpretation needed (other than the Welcome text) until the text
language is set.

Technically, though, I need an explanation. If we set keyboard language
first, given that a kanji character is entered, say, in the search field
for text language, what will be displayed? Is only display text
affected with text language settings, or is input text included, because
it is being displayed?

Also, is there a search field in the keyboard language settings? If so,
do we need one?

> A possible idea: have an index by first letter on top of the list
> instead of a free-form field. But it's probably a bad idea as it's too
> latin-centric.

Good thought but we will benefit from being as international as
possible, since Tails transcends borders. We could glyph this, as you
suggest, in whatever the localized language is, should that be a
function we include.

Wordlife,
Spencer