Re: [Tails-l10n] Improving Translation Infrastructure

Author: u
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Improving Translation Infrastructure
Hi,

okgoogle:
> Hello, I am new here - sajolida mentioned to me an ongoing effort to
> improve the translation infrastructure
> (https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/translation_platform/). It's my
> understanding that for the website this currently is happening
> almost entirely via Git.

> I have done quite a bit of Transifex coordination and integration
> work in the past and would like to try to add value here, if
> possible..

There is the blueprint and a ticket on our bugtracker:
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/9049

Our discussion about the new translation infrastructure can be followed
here:
https://mailman.boum.org/pipermail/tails-l10n/2015-March/002072.html
(please read the whole thread).

The current state of affairs is that we need to evaluate different
solutions against the requirements we have set up collectively.
Currently nobody is really available for this though.
I planned to install a Weblate instance on a machine to see if it fits
during the next weeks.

> A couple questions:

> 1. Where are the current instructions located for setting up a dev
> environment for the website?

You ask for a dev environment on the translation mailing list, so i
wonder if you meant setting up a translation environment? The
documentation is here: http://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/translate

> 2. I see a translation project on Transifex for the website
> (https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/tails-website/) but it looks
> dormant. Are you all open to using Transifex.com for the website?
> This would open the site up to a larger group of translators and
> languages (as well as qualified reviewers). You all can still
> coordinate in conjunction with the current process, assuming I'm
> observing it correctly from what I've seen so far.

The problem with using Transifex for our website translation is that all
translateable strings would be displayed completely out of context there.

That is why we use Transifex only for the translation of our custom
programs and we do not want to have the website translated like this.
The website being our documentation, we'd like the translations to be
very consistent.

I don't know who created this Transifex project for the website, we are
not admins there. These translations are not pulled to our Git
repository as far as I know.

Cheers
u.