Re: [Tails-l10n] Improving Translation Infrastructure

Author: okgoogle
To: tails-l10n@boum.org
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Improving Translation Infrastructure
u, thanks for the feedback and guidance. Just wanted to respond here to one of the points you made:

"The problem with using Transifex for our website translation is that all translateable strings would be displayed completely out of context there."

I completely agree this is definitely a concern. In projects in the past where I have coordinated Transifex efforts, this is resolved by having coordinators and reviewers double-checking the underlying translators. Also, part of the onboarding for any new translator is first to review the entire website (or software in other environments). I have worked on translating very technical projects in the past, which especially rely on context of the website (or software package), and making sure the strings are being translated in context with the rest of the platform is part of QA.

With Transifex, I can make sure that is not an issue with the Tails website. There are several checks and balances to avert out of context, poor translations.

--

Ok Google