[Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: different kind…

Author: spencerone
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: different kinds of Tails
Hi,

> sajolida:
> When installing Tails onto a USB stick from Windows, and for the time
> being, you need to go through two USB sticks:
>
>   A. The first one being installed using UUI from pendrivelinux.com
>   B. The second one being installed from the first one using Tails
>      Installer.
>   C. Then to be able to have a persistent volume you need to configure
>      it and restart again.

> Of course, we're working on simplifying all this through technical
> means, but for the time being, this is what we have to explain to the
> user. At least, until we port Tails Installer to Windows.

Yes, having the installer live outside of Tails, eliminating the second
device, would be nice.

> We've been looking for names to describe those three different kind of
> USB stick to the user. So far we've came up with:
>
>   - "Temporary Tails", for the USB stick created in step A. We want to
>     push people to consider this only as a temporary step before
> getting
>     to a "real" Tails, because such devices don't benefit from
> automatic
>     upgrades (that's a security issue) and you can't create a
> persistent
>     volume on them (that's a usability issue).

>     Some people have proposed "pre-Tails" as well.

Both 'Temporary Tails' and 'pre-Tails' make sense. 'Almost Tails',
Not-quite-yet Tails', and 'Baby Tails' come to mind, and are quite fun,
but are not too useful in communicating the level.

>   - "Minimal Tails", for the USB stick created in step B. We want to
>     convey the idea that this is a good-enough Tails but with limited
>     features: you have automated upgrades but no persistence, though
> you
>     can create one on the same device if you want.

>     Some people have proposed "Tails" only for this one.

'Minimal Tails' suggests minimal functionality, which is not the case.
'Tails w/o Storage' might be more appropriate. 'Tails' makes sense in
this case. 'Good-enough Tails' is fun, too.

>   - "Full-feature Tails", for the USB stick created in step C. This one
>     benefits from automatic upgrades and has a persistent volume
>     configured.

>     Some people have proposed "Tails with persistence" for this one.

'Tails w/ Storage' vs 'Tails w/ Persistence' seems most universally
comprehendable. Seeing that this is the same level as 'B.', adding "w/
Storage" to "Tails" seems appropriate. Otherwise, 'Maximum Tails' seems
fitting, though isn't very proper.

Wordlife,
Spencer