[Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: installation m…

Author: spencerone
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Terminology for the web assistant: installation media
Hi,

> sajolida:
> For example, would it work to say "Flash media" or "Flash memory". Do
> people know what that is? Or sometimes say "flash media (USB stick or
> SD card)" and then some other times only "flash media"?

It appears that 'Flash Memory' is a concept while 'Flash Media' is a
thing. However, 'Flash Storage Device' might be the most universally
comprehendable as 'Media' isn't widely used outside of the technology
industry. Also, media is plural where medium is singular, which, if
using the current Tails install process, could become confusing to the
less technical, as people are possibly using two devices to fully
install Tails.

(USB stick or SD card) parenthetically included on occasions with 'Flash
Media' or 'Flash Storage Device' makes sense, especially the first time.

> Note that we're also something talking about "Tails device" in general
> to talk about anything that can boot Tails (DVD, USB stick, or SD
> card).

This makes sense. 'Desired Tails Device' could also be used at times to
refer to the desired target medium.

> Regarding the actions on those media, we've used:
>
> - "burn" for DVDs
> - "copy onto" or "install onto" for USB sticks and SD cards
>
> Does this work?

Yes, but it could be improved. With origins in hot-iron branding,
'Burn' is a colloquialism that carries little relationship to the
physical function of writing software onto the disk, unless it is
installed onto a one-time write disk, so maybe we can do without it. We
could say 'Install' for DVDs, as it is a full-feature version of Tails.

> Does it also make sense to differentiate "copy onto" or "install onto"
> for USB sticks and SD cards? I thought about saying for example:
>
>   - "Copy the ISO image onto your USB stick", because the result is not
>     a "real" Tails (see the other thread on that topic)
>   - "Install Tails onto your USB stick", when using, for example, Tails
>     Installer, which creates a full-feature Tails.

Yes. For 'Flash Media' it makes sense to differentiate 'Copy' and
'Install' for the first and second device write, respectively.

Wordlife,
Spencer