Re: [Tails-ux] Help needed: Nautilus Wipe progress dialog ti…

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Colomban Wendling
À: intrigeri, tails-ux
Sujet: Re: [Tails-ux] Help needed: Nautilus Wipe progress dialog title
Le 05/03/2015 22:26, Colomban Wendling a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Le 05/03/2015 22:09, intrigeri a écrit :
>> […]
>>
>> If I'm correct, then the current ubiquity of the "wipe" word just
>> means that there are more places (in Nautilus Wipe) where the new
>> phrasing should be used, rather than an argument in favour of keeping
>> the old one... or did I misunderstand what you meant?
>
> Just a note: while I don't really care the wording, I think I remember
> choosing "wipe" after a discussion with someone and some research,
> because it was clearer/more commonly used or something like this.

I just remembered that one thing that weight against "Secure delete" was
that it was deemed a bit unclear what "Secure" would mean here. Does it
mean it will be "safe", probably so I can recover it later? (like the
trash) Or does it mean other options to delete a file might actually
not be safe, like maybe remove other files, or all data? Or does it
mean the file will be deleted better than it otherwise would?

Maybe it's the non-native speaker in me, but the "secure" means probably
as much "safe against loss" as "safe against attack, impregnable; […]
certain not to […] give away" to me.

OTOH, 2 meanings of "Wipe" seem appropriate (from Wiktionary, but my COD
mostly agrees):

2. (transitive) To remove by rubbing; to rub off; to obliterate; usually
followed by away, off, or out.

4. (transitive, computing) To erase.

Though, maybe it isn't clear enough that the removal would be more or
less impossible to undo.

Regards,
Colomban