Re: [Tails-ux] Help needed: Nautilus Wipe progress dialog ti…

Author: Diddly-Squat
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Help needed: Nautilus Wipe progress dialog title
bottom...

On Thu, 05 Mar 2015 15:04:15 -0800
spencerone@??? wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 03/05/2015 14:04, intrigeri wrote:
> > spencerone@??? wrote (05 Mar 2015 21:41:19 GMT) :
> >> To use Sajolida's suggestion with a swapped action, 'Securely
> >> delete disk space'
> >> informs me that I will no longer be able to store things, as I
> >> will have deleted the
> >> space to do so.
> >
> > Indeed, I read and spoke much too fast when approving sajolida's
> > proposal. The idea of "deleting disk space" feels quite wrong,
> > unless the notion of _empty_ or _available_ is re-added.
> >

> Not at all.
>
> Sajolida suggested:
> -------------------
> For files:
> - Action: Securely delete
> - Title: Secure Deletion
> - Progress: Securely deleting file xyz
>
> For disk space:
> - Action: Securely clean disk space
> - Action: Secure Cleaning
> - Progress: Securely cleaning disk space on /media/xyz
> -------------------
>
> And I think your siding with that is great. Sure, alluding to the
> amount of disk space, e.g., 'Empty' or 'Available' is good, too, but
> maybe not necessary. If there is some of the total space available,
> or empty, then it seems that only some of the storage space is
> getting cleaned/wiped. I think, with disk space, people want all of
> it cleaned/wiped. And, given that wiping doesn't mean a good job was
> done, but cleaning does, 'Cleaned' might be the most appropriate
> label.
>
> Wordlife,
> Spencer

In fear of being a thorn, I've made clear what IMO the verbs should be.
I will cease my discussion and yield to whwatever the decision may be.
BUT, I must say that term "available" (as I believe someone
else said) is absolutely critical in the menu lable context.

On another note, which is slightly off topic but I find very
annoying (and exists with other Tails areas) what we would call in the
proprietary world "third party' programs. A more user appealing
experience is to NOT have Nautilus Wipe mentioned at all. As a user,
when I click Help (after Wipe), I only wnat to see the options I can
select explained. I don't care that the program that someone else has
integrated into Tails is called Nautilus Wipe. It only adds an element
of confusion - WTF is "Nautilus Wipe", I just selected Wipe.

Again, in the proprietary world, and what I would suggets in the open
source world, is that the progarm Nautilus Wipe be what we call
"whiteboarded" or "self-branded". In the case of integrating Nautilus
Wipe with Tails (which has been done) a better user experience is to
NOT have any mention Of Nautilus Wipe, which is a title or brand name,
or I don't know what - as it has no trademark indicia.

If the copyright holders of Nautilus Wipe require acknowledment, it
can be done in more more subtle fashion while meeting the legal
requirememts.

Ciao for now. DS.