Re: [Tails-ux] Help needed: Nautilus Wipe progress dialog ti…

Author: Diddly-Squat
To: tails-ux
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Help needed: Nautilus Wipe progress dialog title
On Thu, 05 Mar 2015 13:41:19 -0800
spencerone@??? wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >> Diddly-Squat:
> >> I think changing the term when talking about files versus disk
> >> spaces is a mistake. that is, of you use "Secure delete" when
> >> speaking about files use "Secure delete" also when speaking about
> >> disk space. It is consistent now when using Wipe and Wipe
> >> available disk space.
> >>
> > intrigeri:
> > It doesn't make sense to me to "Securely delete empty disk space".
> > How can one delete something that's empty? But perhaps that's only
> > me, as both a non-native English speaker and technical person.
> >

> I understand and agree with the logic behind like terms as labels,
> however, the outcome seems off.
>
> To use Sajolida's suggestion with a swapped action, 'Securely delete
> disk space' informs me that I will no longer be able to store things,
> as I will have deleted the space to do so.
>
> - 'Securely clean disk space'
> - 'Securely wipe disk space'
>
> These are better understood. Throwing away the junk in your garage
> and cleaning the garage are two separate actions, so maybe separate
> terms for labels is appropriate.

I'd have to disagree with "clean". First. what exists now (as far as
menu selections) is "wipe" and "wipe available disk space" which is in
total agreement with the Nautilus Wipe program. Although I might argue
that the "Wipe" menu selection could be more specific by stating "Wipe
file".

Whether it's "wipe available..." or "erase available..." is of little
consequence. "Clean available ..." I'd have to object to for the
following reasons:

1) "Clean" in this context is not the most commonly used phrase.
2) The reason "clean" is not used it that the verb "to clean" means
that something exists that will be improved upon afterwards. Our use
is talking about wiping out (an American ethnocentric term), or
erasing what was there - something completely different will be left
afterwards.