Re: [Tails-ux] Help needed: Nautilus Wipe progress dialog ti…

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design, ban
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Help needed: Nautilus Wipe progress dialog title
Diddly-Squat:
> In fear of being a thorn, I've made clear what IMO the verbs should be.
> I will cease my discussion and yield to whwatever the decision may be.
> BUT, I must say that term "available" (as I believe someone
> else said) is absolutely critical in the menu lable context.

I'm answering to this email because it's the last one in the thread.

I must say that I've been most convinced by the arguments and
professional background provided by Diddly-Squat, who said in
<20150306080757.29c53e09@???> that he was in favor of keeping the
"wipe" terminology. I was also convinced by the argument of Colomban
that the "secure" notion is ambiguous here and not good.

If we also listen to intrigeri (with agreement from Diddly-Squat), then
keeping "available" has to be mentioned in the case of disk space.
I think that spencerone misunderstood that this features only wipes the
free disk space, the disk space that is not occupied by actual files.

So in the end we are not proposing to change much to the actual
interface. Hurray! Maybe only:

1. To go back to the initial concern from intrigeri, the title of the
dialog shouldn't be "nautilus" but "Wipe Files" instead (as suggested
initially by intrigeri. Plus, we get rid of "third-party" names. Or
maybe "Wipe" only in both cases (wiping files or disk space) to be
shorter. The message in the dialog box would remain the same.

2. Change "diskspace" to "disk space". Unless someone provides a better
reference.

3. Change the "Wipe" option of the right-click menu for files to "Wipe
File" for a single file and "Wipe Files" for folders or multiple files.

4. Discuss whether "empty" is better than "available" in "Wipe available
disk space".

PS1: Diddly-Squat, GNOME people spell it in full caps. Don't ask me why
but I've heard that they get pissed off otherwise :)

PS2: Diddly-Squat, I would be very interested in reading more style
guides. You mentioned that you don't like the one from Microsoft and
that's the one I've been using when GNOME was not enough. Feel free to
send me more pointers in private (or on tails-ux for the pleasure of
everybody).

--
sajolida