Re: [Tails-ux] Help needed: Nautilus Wipe progress dialog ti…

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-ux, Colomban Wendling
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Help needed: Nautilus Wipe progress dialog title
Hi,

[re-adding Colomban to the recipients list, please keep him in
there -- thanks!]

Diddly-Squat wrote (05 Mar 2015 19:31:58 GMT) :
> On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 19:10:52 +0000
> sajolida <sajolida@???> wrote:

> If something changes in regards to the menu selection, the help info
> for Nautilus refers consistently to using wipe or wiping.
> And the term is ubiquitous in Nautilus (menus, dialogs, etc).

I could not find any instance of "wipe" or "wiping" in the Nautilus
(Debian's 3.14.1-2) source code, so I'll assume you're talking about
Nautilus Wipe, not about Nautilus.

If I'm correct, then the current ubiquity of the "wipe" word just
means that there are more places (in Nautilus Wipe) where the new
phrasing should be used, rather than an argument in favour of keeping
the old one... or did I misunderstand what you meant?

> In the case of a UI element the title would be "Secure delete"

I'll let our GNOME HIG experts double-check :)

> I think changing the term when talking about files versus disk spaces
> is a mistake. that is, of you use "Secure delete" when speaking about
> files use "Secure delete" also when speaking about disk space. It is
> consistent now when using Wipe and Wipe available disk space.

It doesn't make sense to me to "Securely delete empty disk space".
How can one delete something that's empty? But perhaps that's only me,
as both a non-native English speaker and technical person.