[Tails-ux] Ever-growing blueprint/ directory on the website

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-ux
CC: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-ux] Ever-growing blueprint/ directory on the website
Hi,

[Cc'ing tails-dev@ to make them aware of the issue. Let's please drop
that address from the Cc list on next replies, and instead discuss
this on tails-ux@. Thanks!]

We're currently rewriting the Tails main Git repository's history to
get rid of old junk and make it smaller, and nicer to use for new
contributors. In the process, we've identified other directories that
have large files in them, and moved e.g. the promotion material to its
own, dedicated repo. So far, so good.

Once this was done, the most concerning remaining directory is
wiki/src/blueprint/: it's not that big yet, but it seems that
not-so-small binary files are being added there on a regular basis.
If we go on this way, I'm concerned that we may be back to square one
in a couple years, with a giant Git repo that's a pain for new
contributors to initially clone and push.

The aforementioned not-so-small binary files that are being added into
this directory on a regular basis are mostly about UX work. IMO, our
Git repository is not an appropriate place to store an ever-growing
stack of binary files. I'd rather avoid having to go through the
painful process of rewriting the Git history again, so let's try to
find a solution before it becomes a problem :)

So, my question is: what tools and infrastructure do you need to store
these files elsewhere?

Some initial questions to discuss this might be:

* Who currently adds stuff in there?

* Do they use Git, or the web interface?

* Who would want to add stuff in there but is blocked by the current
flow (Git or slightly sub-optimal web interface)?

* Do you need revision control?

* Assuming you still want to use blueprint/* as a wiki, what kind of
linkage between blueprints and binary files stored elsewhere do you
need? Would blueprint -> external attachments be good enough?