Re: [Tails-ux] Ever-growing blueprint/ directory on the webs…

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Ever-growing blueprint/ directory on the website
Hi again,

sajolida wrote (26 Feb 2015 11:44:08 GMT) :
> intrigeri:

> But for the Greeter for example, we also used Redmine to store
> attachments. So we could set an informal rule to push text and XML to
> Git, and binary images to Redmine. The biggest SVG file called
> greeter-flow.png probably inlines several PNG files and that's why it
> got bigger.

Works for me: no additional infrastructure to set up and maintain.

>> * Assuming you still want to use blueprint/* as a wiki, what kind of
>> linkage between blueprints and binary files stored elsewhere do you
>> need? Would blueprint -> external attachments be good enough?

> We need to be able to insert those binary images into the blueprints.
> I'm not sure ikiwiki knows how to do that for remote URLs

Apparently not with the img plugin.

> but in the worse case we can do that through HTML.

Cool.

So, problem solved apparently. Yay!

Do we need to enforce this server-side, to forbid pushing large files,
possibly with a per-file-extension limit?

I definitely trust that mistakes will be rare, but one can *not* undo
such mistakes, as far as the `.git' directory size is concerned, which
is what I'm interested in right now... and I'd like to avoid having to
rewrite the Git history again in a few years, sort of. OTOH, I can
definitely do more interesting things than setting up Git hooks :)

I'll let you judge.