[Tails-ux] Help needed: Nautilus Wipe progress dialog title

Author: spencerone
To: tails-ux
CC: Colomban Wendling
Subject: [Tails-ux] Help needed: Nautilus Wipe progress dialog title
Hey all,

> tchou tchou[at]riseup.net:
> Hey,
>
>> intrigeri intrigeri[at]boum.org:
>> Nautilus Wipe ("right-click -> Wipe" in the file manager) displays
>> a progress dialog that one can see when wiping large enough files.
>> Currently, that dialog window's title is "nautilus", and the text
>> displayed in the dialog is "Wiping files...". I think the title could
>> be improved. I've been talking with the upstream author (Cc'd) and
>> he agrees, and came up with a draft patch.
>>
>> So, I think all we need now is a better title.
>>
>> I've quickly looked at the GNOME HIG
>> (https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/) and didn't find any guidance
>> there, but perhaps someone who's willing to spend more time on
>> it could.
>>
>> An example I've found is the GNOME archive thing ("right click ->
>> Extract here"):
>>
>> - title: Extract Archive
>> - text in the dialog window: Extracting the files from
>> whatever.tar.gz...
>>
>> Looks good, so what about using "Wipe Files" as the title, and keeping
>> "Wiping files..." at the text?
>>
> I would suggest to use more explicits words like "Securely delete
> files"
> and "Securely clean available disk space" like in the Tails online
> documentation
> (https://tails.boum.org/doc/encryption_and_privacy/secure_deletion/index.en.html)
> rather than "wipe".

I agree with being more explicit, though, given that the name of the
Nautilus file manager tool is Nautilus Wipe, 'Wipe' seems most
appropriate.

If change gon' come, then, given what has been suggested so far, it may
make sense to have:

     - Action: 'Delete Files'
     - Title: 'Nautilus Delete'
     - Progress: 'Deleting files...'

We could also do:

     - Action: 'Erase Files'
     - Title: 'Nautilus Erase'
     - Progress: 'Erasing files...'

Or we can just do:

     - Action: 'Wipe Files'
     - Title: 'Nautilus Wipe'
     - Progress: 'Wiping files...'

If we ditch the file manager name in the title of the tool, then we
could have:

     - Action: 'Delete files'
     - Title: 'Delete Files'
     - Progress: 'Securely deleting files...'

Though this doesn't make as much sense.

Either way, the title seems most appropriate as the name of the tool
with the action and progress text following suit with the same
terminology. We could also throw 'secure' in there, too, though it
depends on if that is already an established expectation or not, or if
it serves a slightly different function like Apple's 'Empty Trash' vs
'Secure Empty Trash'.

Wordlife,
SpencerOne