Re: [Tails-l10n] (discuss)[de] Translate "persistent volume"

Author: Muri Nicanor
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] (discuss)[de] Translate "persistent volume"
hi,

so, as far as I'm concerned , we have three goals:
#1 stay as close to the english original as possible
#2 create a term thats technical correct (i.a. for security reasons)
#3 create a term thats understandable for users without any technical
background

i think fullfilling both #2 and #3 is very complicated...

i would be interested how the term 'persistent storage' is understood by
native english speakers? any ideas?

On 01/31/2015 10:30 PM, sycamoreone wrote:
> spriver:
>> I think that we should use a term that includes the word "Daten"
>> because "Speicher" is also used as a term form "RAM".
>> I am preferring:
>> nichtflüchtige/beständige Datenpartition (it is a own partition just
>> used for Data)
>>
>> or
>> "beständige (Daten)Speicherpartition"
>
> This is really an area, where everybody would translate differently.
>
> I would *not* include "Daten", because I think it is redundant. The
> persistent/permantent/nichtflüchtig part already rules out RAM or
> similar and what else could be stored on a computer but "Daten".

i think most end-users don't have a concept of RAM, 'Fluechtigkeit',
persistence, permanent or any 'Speicher' thats for something else than
'Daten' ;)

[..]
u wrote:
> What is important to me is that the user understands that we are really
> talking about an actual disk partition.

why is that?

[..]
sycamoreone wrote:
> So I would vote for
>
> adjective: 1. beständig, 2. permanent, 3. nichtflüchtig
> noun: 1. Speicherbereich, 2. Speicherpartition,

i would add the adjectives 'dauernd', 'haltbar' and 'ueberdauernd' to
the pool. i don't like them, but maybe it helps us find a good term...

spriver wrote:
> I will ask some non-technical people tomorrow how all the terms sound
> to them.

i think thats a good idea, i will do the same in the next days...

cheers,
muri

ps: changed the topic