Re: [Tails-l10n] (review)[de] wiki/src/doc/first_steps/persi…

Author: sycamoreone
To: tails-l10n
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-l10n] (discuss)[de] Translate "persistent volume"
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] (review)[de] wiki/src/doc/first_steps/persistence.de
spriver:
> I think that we should use a term that includes the word "Daten"
> because "Speicher" is also used as a term form "RAM".
> I am preferring:
> nichtflüchtige/beständige Datenpartition (it is a own partition just
> used for Data)
>
> or
> "beständige (Daten)Speicherpartition"

This is really an area, where everybody would translate differently.

I would *not* include "Daten", because I think it is redundant. The
persistent/permantent/nichtflüchtig part already rules out RAM or
similar and what else could be stored on a computer but "Daten".

I also think that "Partition" is much more technical than necessary.
"Bereich" is simpler and conveys the same information (to the end user).

And I would prefer "beständig" or "permanent" over "nichtflüchtig"
because the former are positive concepts, while the latter is a negative
one. Positive things are almost always clearer and simpler.

u:
> What is important to me is that the user understands that we are really
> talking about an actual disk partition.

I don't understand why this is necessary, but I have no objections to
this requirement.

So I would vote for

adjective: 1. beständig, 2. permanent, 3. nichtflüchtig
noun: 1. Speicherbereich, 2. Speicherpartition,

(But I also think that in the end all of these terms would be fine :)
No strong feelings. )

--
sycamoreone