Re: [Tails-dev] using meek with Tails

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-dev] keeping up with transports
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] using meek with Tails
Hi,

first, thanks *a lot* for reporting back!

Emma Peel wrote (15 Nov 2014 12:11:55 GMT) :
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 16:31:14 +0100 intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:

>> Emma Peel wrote (11 Nov 2014 15:14:39 GMT) :
>> > and saying that obsf3 bridges are not so available... is this true?
>>
>> What do you mean exactly with "not so available"?

> Many of them are offline, he claims.

I've not noticed that, but I can't say I've performed extensive testing.
That would be a question for the Tor BridgeDB maintainers.

> Another user is asking for 'proxychains' in Tails.

Uh, what for? (Please answer in a new, dedicated sub-thread unless it
really is on-topic.)

> Maybe we can have a nice page mapping the different fancy new
> transports and their tickets?

> I see many issues tracked from https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7980
> but just the ones we are planning to add so far. Maybe we can add all
> this under https://tails.boum.org/support/faq/#networking ?

I'm not sure what problem you're trying to solve here. Let me try harder.

If it's about "users always ask if $PT is supported and we need to be
able to point them to some already written answer", then the list of
bridges/PT types we support is maintained on
https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/startup_options/bridge_mode/.
Other bridges/PT types are not supported. Maybe we need a FAQ entry
about "Is $PT supported in Tails?" that simply points to the
corresponding doc.

If it's about tracking the work that needs to be done, then the list
of bridges/PT types we should support is vaguely maintained via
Redmine tickets, in the "Tor configuration" category, generally marked
as related to each other (#7980, #8243, #7909). Seems good enough to
me. The main problem I see right now in this are is getting a clear
idea of how we should prioritize adding support for these new PTs wrt.
to each other.

If it's about linking the users and dev areas somehow, then I think
the problem to be solved needs to be clarified. Maybe the "Is $PT
supported in Tails" FAQ could point to the relevant Redmine category
in addition to the end-user doc, for the curious ones.

If I totally misunderstood, I'm sorry, and please clarify :)