Re: [Tails-dev] [Freepto] (senza oggetto)

Author: Patrick Schleizer
To: Everything about freepto, tails-dev, Patrick Schleizer
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [Freepto] (senza oggetto)
Hi!

intrigeri:
> [sorry for the late reply. any reason to drop most addresses from the
> Cc list?]

Sorry, mistake.

> Patrick Schleizer wrote (03 Jul 2014 14:55:57 GMT) :
>> I am currently working on splitting Whonix into multiple packages.
>> Having ability to be used by other privacy distributions on general
>> Libre Software users in mind.
>
>> I hope that a lot of functionality can and eventually will be used by
>> other privacy and/or general distributions.
>
>> Have a look at what packages/functionality is provided:
>> https://github.com/Whonix
>
>> (~6 pages; ~100 packages)
>
> Thanks! Wow, that's a *lot* of stuff. I've no idea where to start
> looking at.

Understandably it could seem overwhelming. ~6 pages; ~100 packages
sounds a lot... But... Maybe start at https://github.com/Whonix. Just
have a quick look at the short package descriptions. Those are just one
or two lines. No need to read the full package description at that
point. The two line summary should be quite concise.

You could see something like this:

> swap-file-creator
>
> Adds encrypted swap file to the system - for better protection of

locally stored data and to aid environments with low RAM.

Or:

> bootclockrandomization
>
> Randomizes clock when systems boots by adding a few seconds and

nanoseconds to enforce the design goal, that the host clock and
Gateway/Workstation clock should always slightly differ (even before
secure timesync succeeded!) to prevent time based fingerprinting /
linkablity issues. For better anonymity and privacy.

Etc. Then see what catches your interest, maybe one or another package.

> Any hint wrt. what could possibly be closer to be reusable
> in (and useful for) e.g. Tails,

Re-usable for Tails should be much simpler than uploadable to Debian.
Even if a package would only contain a single config file, which was
useful for Tails, it could be re-used in Tails. While Debian ftp masters
might reject the package. (No complaint here - maybe rightly so - I
haven't walked in their shoes.)

Here are some packages that may be useful and easily re-usable for Tails.

- tor-ctrl [perhaps rather boring, but I need it for a newnym tool]
- timezone-utc
- tcp-timestamps-disable
- timesanitycheck
- shared-folder-help
- scurl
- pkg-manager-no-autoupdate
- ipv4-forward-disable
- poweroff-passwordless
- damngpl [ _maybe_ useful for https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5548 ]
- bootclockrandomization
- ipv6-disable
- curl-scripts
- power-savings-disable-in-vms
- anon-icon-pack
- pkg-manager-longer-timeouts
- various kde-[...] packages, but that is more hyptotehtically, perhaps
for Tails custom builds of if Tails some day comes with an alternative
KDE desktop, you could set many settings by using the kde-[...] settings
packages https://github.com/Whonix?query=kde-

> or would be ready in your opinion to
> be uploaded to Debian?

Since packages that contain only config files or worse, only a single
config file are not allowed, this will be much fewer.

The packages usually have no lintian warnings. But I don't know what an
actual DD will say. I really don't know. Maybe bootclockrandomization if
it's not too small.

>> Help with getting packaging ready to be acceptable for Debian [etc.],
>> mentoring, finding Debian maintainer, etc. is welcome!
>
> I can maybe help finding sponsors. I already have enough mentoring and
> package maintenance on my plate, though.

Very nice.

Maybe let's start with a really simple package to get me bootstrapped.
That I will polish for Debian derivatives or even Debian itself. The
bootclockrandomization package is kinda simple. Should I port to systemd
first? Maybe bootclockrandomization interests you. Or any other package
that catches your interest.

Cheers,
Patrick