[Tails-ux] greeter UX: guided configuration

Author: Alan
To: tails-ux
New-Topics: Re: [Tails-ux] greeter UX: tour
Subject: [Tails-ux] greeter UX: guided configuration
>> Tchou:
>> navigation
>> - Add a "back" label for the back button

There is no such label in GNOME3 nor in Firefox or Windows Explorer, so
I don't see it needed. But I'm not against it either

>> - We need to decide the differents way to go (or not) from one screen
>> to another :
>> - click on the steps numbers
>> - click on items (like home & office)
>> - click on a "next" button

> I think we said clicking on one of the buttons was enough to go from
> one screen to the other. You can always rollback with the "back"
> button.

I agree.

>> - Maybe we need to have labels on steps for each screen
>> - [1 - Tails ?] [2 - Context] [3 - Need to save ?] [4 - Check and go]

> Geoffrey was only mentioning "dots" at the bottom of the page, without
> even a number. So I wouldn't add titles.

I agree but don't have a strong opinion on that. A lit of GNOME wizard
have a left column with titles for each step and the current step
highlited.

>> - We have to decide which is (and if there is) the default
>> configuration for each screen
>> - maybe "public place" for step 2
>> - maybe "no" for step 3
>
> I don't think so. The user needs to make a decision here and click on
> one button or the other. If there is no "next" button, then there
> should be no default.

I agree.

>> screens
>> - screen 1 : Add a button at the bottom : "start the tour" or "next"
>
> I think the tour should be treated as a different task. It is good to
> take this into consideration while revamping the Greeter but we don't
> have that content right-now. It will come later on, while reworking
> the website I think.

The tour is another name for the guided configuration I think, and we
definitely need to implement it together with the advanced one, else
the new greeter will be a regression for new users.

>> - screen 1 : Have the same title than the button you click on to
>> arrive : "Guided configuration" (I think maybe on all screens)

OK

>> - screen 2 : We need to work on the differents contexts, maybe add an
>> "offline mode" that do not load any network modules.

OK once it's implemented, which is another (easy) task.

>> - screen 3 : I wondering if you must use explicit label like "Yes,
>> configure encrypted persistance" / "No, next step" and not just "yes"
>> and "no". Maybe it's ok because it's the only screen with this kind
>> to label.
>
> Yes/No buttons have to be avoided and we should rather use explicit
> buttons with verbs. So I'd say "Configure persistence" and "Start
> without persistence".

OK

>> - screen 4 : "Go" button should be "lunch" (or at least, the same
>> that we have in other screens)

OK