[Tails-ux] greeter UX: welcome to tails screen

Author: Alan
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] greeter UX: welcome to tails screen
Hi,

I open a thread here for each discussion set of the greeter UX (see
https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/tails-greeter:_revamp_UI)

This one is about the welcome screen.

> Sajolida:
>> Tchou:
>> - When the user click the on/off button to remember the language and
>> keyboard layout, a warning should pop-up for clear explanation of
>> wich information may be leaked on the usb stick, with a clear button
>> like "I'm OK with having in clear text my keybord and language
>> setting on this Tails usb stick".

We already agreed on that, see the flow diagram on the blueprint.

>> - I'm wondering if we should add the "UTC time zone" option. Maybe 4
>> columns would be a lot on the screen but often user complains about
>> having an enexpected time. Maybe we could add this configuration to
>> the encrypted persitence and select it in the gnome environnement.
>
> I'm not in favor of having the timezone configuration stored in
> persistence and configure directly from the clock on the desktop
>
> If there is no configuration in persistence we could try to "guess"
> the timezone according to the local but it wouldn't always work (for
> Russia for example) so I'm not totally sure about that. Anyway, let's
> not worry about that now as we don't have a configurable clock anyway.

I agree.

>> Unlock persistent data
>>
>> - Change label to be more explicit : "Unlock your persistent
>> encrypted data and preferences"

OK

>> - I'm wondering what we should do when the user lunch Tails with a
>> DVD.

>> - we could keep all the persistence possibily and pop-up that I need
>> to copy its Tails into a usb stick
>> - or hide everthing because he can not at this moment performe the
>> action

> I'm in favor of either hiding those options.

I agree.

> But then in the guided
> configuration we can mention in step 3 that you need to run from USB
> in order to save encrypted data.

OK

>> - I feel that the read-only option is used by no-one. If we want to
>> keep it, we could have it in "Advanced configuration"
>
> Good idea. I'm still not satisfied with the current design. I'm
> worried that the On/Off switch for read-only might look like a switch
> for the persistence or something...

We discussed that IRL and considered that this option was actually
useful, e.g. if I need access to my encryption keys but want to be sure
I'll leave no trace of my activity. We thus agreed to keep this option
there.

I'm still in favor of keeping it there.

What about replacing the Switch with a CheckBox (which is still allowed
for non-persistent options - we can make the label clickable too)?

Cheers