Re: [Tails-l10n] translation newbie doubt: keywords?

Author: flapflap
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] translation newbie doubt: keywords?
Hi,

Laura Arjona:
> Hi
>
> El 11/07/14 11:39, mercedes508 escribió:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> shall i translate it as
>>>
>>> msgstr "Encriptar Portapapeles con _FraseClave"
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> msgstr "Encriptar Portapapeles con _Passphrase"
>>>
>>> is the last word translatable?
>>
>> Passphrase is translatable in french at least, so if you find a good
>> enough translation in spanish, then go for it!
>
> I would translate it as
>
> msgstr "Cifrar Portapapeles con _Contraseña"

I'm one of the German translators and we had/have similar problems:
if I'm not mistaken `Contraseña' means `password' which one might think
of being only a single word (same as `Passwort' in German). That's why I
like `passphrase', because it describes better what we want to have: a
long, easy to remember, sentence.
So, in case for German, we used `Passphrase' (although it is a loan
word) as it is more precise and prevents confusion (or harm, in case
someone uses only a single easy to guess word).

You might also look, how cryptography related projects/blogs/wikis/...
translate it. For example
https://www.debian.org/devel/passwordlessssh.es.html
uses
'Puede usar ssh-agent(1) y ssh-add(1) para escribir la frase clave..."

cheers,
~flapflap