Re: [Tails-dev] Fwd: Re: Secure android headset integration

Author: intrigeri
To: Chamelephon, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Fwd: Re: Secure android headset integration
Hi,

>> Do you mean booting Tails on the phone itself, or using the phone as
>> a USB mass storage device for booting Tails on another computer?
>>

> Booting from the USB Mass storage off the phone.

OK, got it.

> Well, good news indeed. We can convert to bitcoin once some amount
> has been collected though :)

This is good too.

>>> The other thing that hit me in the face is to have a PXE boot app
> written
>>> for android that lets the users boot from the nework or tethering
> network
>>> and boot tails from there without burning dvds or using usb storage.
>>
>> I don't know PXE much, and am unsure if the way it handles network
>> connections can be secured in a way that satisfies Tails design goals
>> and threat models. But if you research this any further, I would
>> personally be curious to read about your results :)

> I didn't have time the last days for this, but isn't the boot media
> supposed to be irrelevant with TAILS?

Yes and no. One of Tails' goals is to make it hard to use it the wrong
way. This makes me doubtful about making it easy for users to boot off
an image loaded over an untrusted network, and served from
a fileserver running some OS that may not have a suitable threat model
and security level. But I've not thought of it much, so I guess
anywore looking deeper into this topic could possibly come up with
a solution that's safe enough (e.g. via USB tethering, as you said).

> I mean no matter what the boot method
> is, it still loads a ramdisk from the supposed media.

Sure.