[Tails-dev] Fwd: Re: Secure android headset integration

Author: Chamelephon
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Fwd: Re: Secure android headset integration

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Secure android headset integration
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 19:45:37 +0300
From: Chamelephon <sales@???>
To: intrigeri <intrigeri@???>

On Thu, 08 May 2014 17:22:31 +0200, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Chamelephon wrote (06 May 2014 13:52:33 GMT) :
>> We are releasing soon our version 1 retail product and the idea
>> occured to me have it shipped by default with a separate tails
>> installation on the internal storage or an external sd-card. I did my
>> testing and it works nicely, so a user can boot into it by just
>> connecting
>> the phone via USB cable and selecting it from the boot options.
>
> Do you mean booting Tails on the phone itself, or using the phone as
> a USB mass storage device for booting Tails on another computer?

Booting from the USB Mass storage off the phone.

>> I am writing in the mailing list just because i couldn't find contacts
>> for
>> a led maintainer here.
>
> There is not such thing as a lead Tails maintainer, and this is the
> right place to talk to us :)

So glad to receive an answer then :)

>> My idea is to ask the customers whether they would
>> like tails installed on their device by default and pay an extra fee to
>> cover SD card costs and donate the rest straight to you guys.
>
> Good news, we will soon accept donations in fiat currencies (while we
> currently only accept Bitcoin).

Well, good news indeed. We can convert to bitcoin once some amount has been
collected though :)

>> The other thing that hit me in the face is to have a PXE boot app

written
>> for android that lets the users boot from the nework or tethering

network
>> and boot tails from there without burning dvds or using usb storage.
>
> I don't know PXE much, and am unsure if the way it handles network
> connections can be secured in a way that satisfies Tails design goals
> and threat models. But if you research this any further, I would
> personally be curious to read about your results :)

I didn't have time the last days for this, but isn't the boot media
supposed to be irrelevant with TAILS? I mean no matter what the boot method
is, it still loads a ramdisk from the supposed media.
If we are talking about persistent storage, that's another story. But i'm
looking forward more to a "livecd" amnesiac experience.
What is the odd-ball in this quest is actually implementing the PXE server
on a non-rooted device, thus making it more installable.

--
The affordable secure handset