[Tails-dev] Camouflage status for 1.1

Author: Alan
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Camouflage status for 1.1
Hi,

Summary
=======

I committed to update our windows camouflage for Tails 1.1. I belive
that I reached the point where only details are missing and would
appreciate feedback.

The goal is to look similar to Microsoft Windows 8 (which I don't have
access to, so I based my work on videos and screenshots).

The current state is possible to test in experimental builds since
today around noon
(http://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_experimental/).

Please test and give feedback!

Details
=======

Ticket with remaining tasks: https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/6342
Tails branch: feature/6342-update-camouflage-for-gnome3
Theme repository: http://git.tails.boum.org/gnome-theme-windows8/

Questions and comments
======================

- The taskbar doesn't really look like windows 8's. Do we want to
include (and package) https://github.com/lanoxx/window-picker-applet/

- I implemented add the theme in gnome-theme-windows8, which includes
several upstream tarballs and modifications. This looks quite messy.
Do you think I should split this in specific packages with debian
patches for our modifications before 1.1? Later? Or is this good
enough for you?

- I didn't port torbrowser camouflage. It looks like we have no chance
to actually look like IE10 and its metro interface, so just looking
like firefox doesn't seem me that bad.
(http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/10034-internet-explorer-10-metro-add-remove-favorites-windows-8-a.html)

- I replaced the windows XP theme, but it wouldn't be that hard to port
my changes to that theme too and to let the user choose. I don't
commit to this however.

Thanks by advance for your input,

Cheers