Re: [Tails-dev] Camouflage status for 1.1

Author: Alan
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Camouflage status for 1.1
Hi,

> This looks like a mix of Windows 8 and 8.1:
>
> * the color theme is like the default in 8
> * the background image is the default from 8
> * the start button is only present in 8.1

Some screencasts of 8.0 seemd to have it. Perhaps is it an option?

> IMHO this mixing is ok.

Agreed.

> I've attached a screenshot of a Windows 8.1 desktop I managed to get
> my hand on to #6342. I changed the pinned applications to

Thanks!

> Some comments and suggestions about the panel:
>
> * The current icon for Iceweasel is the IE6/7 icon from XP, but it
> looks different in Windows 8. See my screenshot.

OK.

> * The icons for pidgin and claws should be changed to those of the
> People (or Skype) and Mail apps, respectively, like in my
> screenshot. Or they should be removed, which perhaps is the simplest.

I think we better keep them.

> * The icons for KeyPassX and GNOME terminal should be removed. There
> are no immediate *common* applications corresponding to these.

Too bad. I find them useful. Other opinions?

> * Possibly we can add a launcher for the home directory, as the
> left-most one, which seems to be the default in Windows 8/8.1.

Why not. Other opinions?

> * Can we remove the "separators" (or whatever those lightblue, "dotty"
> things are calleD) on the left and right of the tasks?

Not as far as I know (of we should strongly tweak the GTK theme, which
I don't volunteer to do).

> * The shutdown applet is actually quite stealthy as it is (size and
> color), but it'd be better if it could be moved to between the
> system tray and the clock applet. On windows the clock seems to
> always be touching the right edge of the screen.

That's easy. I can do it but I'm afaraid it would be less accessible to
quickly click on it. Other opinions?

> * The clock applet's text should be white.

I don't know an easy way to do that. Do you think it is a blocker?

> * The Vidalia icon in the system tray has a weird grey rectangle
> beneath it. Can we remove it?

I don't know. Do you think it is a blocker?

> * Can we make the icons in the system tray smaller? The size of
> Vidalia's and the shutdown applet icon are pretty good.

I don't know but can have a quick look.

> Also, about the desktop: it seems the only thing there by default is
> the Recycle Bin, so we should remove everything else, IMHO.

Hopefully that's not very difficult.

> > Details
> > =======
> >
> > Ticket with remaining tasks:
> > https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/6342 Tails branch:
> > feature/6342-update-camouflage-for-gnome3 Theme repository:
> > http://git.tails.boum.org/gnome-theme-windows8/
> >
> > Questions and comments
> > ======================
> >
> > - The taskbar doesn't really look like windows 8's. Do we want to
> > include (and package)
> > https://github.com/lanoxx/window-picker-applet/
>
> I definitely think we want this (and migrate the launchers to it as
> "pinned" applications, or whatever it's called). The way running
> applications are shown in the task bar currently is an obvious
> give-away and wouldn't pass the "quick look over the shoulder" test.

Would someone more knowledgeable than me about packaging C give a try
please?

> > - I implemented add the theme in gnome-theme-windows8, which
> > includes several upstream tarballs and modifications. This looks
> > quite messy. Do you think I should split this in specific packages
> > with debian patches for our modifications before 1.1? Later? Or is
> > this good enough for you?
>
> Personally I don't really care.

Other thoughts?

> > - I didn't port torbrowser camouflage. It looks like we have no
> > chance to actually look like IE10 and its metro interface,
>
> Windows 8 has a desktop mode which is separate from the crazy metro
> stuff, and in it everything (applications included) looks much like
> Windows 7 (i.e. traditional windows desktops). This desktop mode is
> what you currently are trying to emulate, AFAICT, so it should be
> possible to make Iceweasel look like an approximation of IE10. This
> is how IE10 looks in desktop mode:
> http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Internet-Explorer-10-Is-the-Best-Browser-for-Windows-8-Microsoft-2.png

Gook news!

> The Firefox theme FoxE9 almost gets it right (it just has a more
> Windows 7-ish look) but it's not available for Linux for some reason.
>
> With some DIY we may get a long way by:
>
> * Disabling the menu-bar. Then we get the Iceweasel menu button to the
> left of the address bar, which isn't good, but I see no immediate
> way to improve this.
>
> * Moving the tabs to right of the address bar and removing most other
> controls, including the search bar.
>
> * Using a Light Weight Theme similar to the one we use for the Unsafe
> Web Browser but that instead of setting everything to red sets
> everything to the same blue as in the title bar.
>
> > so just looking like firefox doesn't seem me that bad.
>
> If so, we should stop pretending it is IE completely. After all,
> Firefox is pretty common in Windows too. But Iceweasel isn't. So this
> would introduce of to the legal dilemmas of Firefox' non-free art
> work; we cannot legally distribute e.g. the Firefox icon and use it
> for our patched browser.
>
> Another issue with this is that many public computers probably seem to
> use IE, so Firefox would be a strange sight if running Tails in such a
> setting => a bad thing for the "quick look over the shoulder" test.

I don't get if you have a proposal.

Cheers