Re: [Tails-dev] campaign to support tails

Author: Vigdis
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] campaign to support tails
On Fri, 23 May 2014 01:17:24 +0300, moxy m <rehlamag@???> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just met Tails and I would like to contribute.
> My idea is to get flash usb sticks, put Tails iso on them, ready to
> load, and start a campaign to give it to journalists and activists in
> my country (Lebanon, LB). my flash usb stick costs 10$, so I would
> sell it to journalists and acivists for 20$, and send the 10$ profit
> to you and to EFF.
> I will tell people that they can download it for free but this is
> easier for them and they will be contributing to the Tails and EFF
> project.
>
> is this okay with you?

Although I' don't speak for the Tails project, I don't think is a
good idea.

The first rule in opsec[1] is: trust no one". If you provide them a usb
key with Tails already installed, they won't be able to verify that's
the real Tails so they have to trust you that you either are honest and
did it correctly.

Even if you are honest, maybe next time a Spying Agency will do the
same and they'll think "oh the first time it was ok, let's do it again"
and that's bad.

My advice if you want to help them is to setup a cryptoparty where you
told them to bring their own USB key, and then you show them how to
verify that the ISO is legit and then installed it. So they'll know how
to do it and they are sure to have a correct Tails.

There's the phrase: "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

You can also tell them that Tails is a volunteering project and that
they can help (translation, money, testing, developing new features and
so on).

> regards.
>
> moxy

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opsec