Re: [Tails-dev] GSoC 2014 - Linphone Implementation ... ?

Author: intrigeri
To: carol3
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] GSoC 2014 - Linphone Implementation ... ?
Hi,

carol3@??? wrote (14 Mar 2014 19:25:28 GMT) :
> and you´re right ... probably tor is to slow for the needed
> bandwidth

There must be some misunderstanding here. Our initial tests, and Tor
folks tests, suggest it can work just fine (details on the web pages
I've pointed you at).

>>> jitsi is not working without udp.
>>
>> A quick web search seems to disagree, so I'm surprised. I didn't look
>> at the source code, though.

> https://jitsi.org/Documentation/FAQ

> ... Also note that both you and your partner need to have unhindered
> outgoing UDP access to the Internet or at least to your VoIP service
> provider ...

I see, thanks for the pointer. I had seen it too, but another answer
in the same FAQ reads "Use TCP or TLS. If your network supports either
of these, that would be a far better option.", so IMHO it's a bit
quick to conclude from that sentence, without testing, that Jitsi does
not support TCP.

Moreover, the "Advanced" -> "Global Proxy" screen of the Jitsi
configuration has a "Also proxy DNS" option, documented as "Useful
with Tor", which also makes me suspect that TCP is supported.

Anyone wanting to test? (or has tested already?)