Re: [Tails-dev] GSoC 2014 - Linphone Implementation ... ?

Author: Nathan of Guardian
To: The Tails public development discussion list, carol3
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] GSoC 2014 - Linphone Implementation ... ?
On 03/14/2014 03:07 PM, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> carol3@??? wrote (14 Mar 2014 18:04:17 GMT) :
>>> You probbly mean pseudonymous, then, not anonymous, right?
>
>> no i mean anonymous, by creating new random account on every call (in
>> this case we have to trust ostel.co - guardian project).
>
> Wow, interesting. Two questions, then:
>
> 1. Do you think ostel.co can handle it?

We are definitely working to support this type of scalability and
transient account use. It might be useful to setup an API that would
allow the user to identity the account as a one-time use variety.

Related to this, we are integrating Ostel/VoIP functionality into
ChatSecure, and users will be generating Ostel accounts in a similar way
to what is being proposed here.

Finally, Ostel.co is just our first public instance of what we hope is a
wider set of OSTN nodes around the world. We have Iceland, Netherlands
and Hong Kong coming online in the near future. Notes on running your
own server are available on the wiki:
https://dev.guardianproject.info/projects/ostel/wiki

> 2. How do you handle incoming calls, then? One has to communicate
>    their temporary SIP address to their peer every time they want to
>    receive a call, or is the idea to make this easier somehow?

>> perhaps i have a error in reasoning. why you need vpn for it? for e.g.
>> with linphone you can tunnel the traffic over tcp
>
> I didn't think that NAT traversal worked fine when using Tor, but
> I would be glad to be surprised. Can a Tails system receive a call
> over Tor (say, with Linphone, and via ostel.co)? I'd be delighted to
> read a quick howto to see this work :)

Perhaps direct IP-to-IP VoIP calling over TCP would work with Linphone
using Onion addresses on each side? In this case, a central server would
not be needed at all.

Best!

+n