Re: [Tails-l10n] Fw: [Transifex] A team for German was reque…

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] Fw: [Transifex] A team for German was requested for the project Tails IUK
Hi,

Frithjof wrote (27 Jan 2014 19:28:14 GMT) :
> I don't understand this: Is this somebody who wants to translate the
> IUK strings,
> or is somebody asking for a translation?

I think someone wants to translate Tails strings in Transifex.
I have no idea what exactly "requesting a team" means, what a team can
do that an individual can't, etc.

> I would prefer using git, but I haven't looked at the IUK yet.
> If somebody else wants to do the translations using Transifex, then
> why not?

I think there are two options here:

A. The German translation team focusses on translating the web site
(note that the German translation of the web site is still in
"should be dropped" state right now), and leaves the translations
that can be done through Transifex to Transifex users, possibly
reviewing it and improving it a bit in Transifex if/when you feel
like it.

B. The German translation team takes over all Tails strings currently
available in Transifex, handles it 100% through Git, and regularly
gets in touch with the people doing (useless, wasted) work on
Transifex (see "Team duties" on
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/how/translate/#index2h2).

On the short term at least, given the current shape of the German
translation of our website, I would encourage you to go with A. But if
you feel the team is strong enough to take care of the website *and*
to go with B at the same time, feel free :)

> In fact there are recent translations in
> http://git.tails.boum.org/iuk/tree/po/de.po from
> the Tor project team. Isn't this working out OK?

Right, tails-iuk is already fully (or almost fully) translated in
Transifex, and this translation will be shipped as part of Tails
0.22.1. I've not tried it for myself. That's a reason why we put out
release candidates: so that people can test translations in
real context.