Re: [Tails-dev] Please review draft documentation for IUK

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review draft documentation for IUK
Hi,

sajolida@??? wrote (07 Jan 2014 17:38:01 GMT) :
> You are right, the reasons to force a manual upgrade can be many. I
> tried to fix that with commit b0e9acb4 on the blueprint.

Applied, thanks.

> It's a shame that we don't provide more information on why it is not
> possible to do an automatic upgrade. The resulting dialog is a bit
> mysterious but the different reasons are explain in the documentation. I
> think that's how far we can get for the moment.

> I let you think about how hard it would be to be a bit more informative
> inside that same dialog, and decide on how much you feel like improving
> on that.

I'm unconvinced (especially given we have to close #5735 first) that
this can land into 0.22.1, but I'd be glad to see this improved for
a future iteration. Filed #6575 as a subtask of #6508 (incremental
upgrades: complete phase four), targetted at Tails 0.23.

I've quickly had the code above save the reason why an incremental
upgrade is not possible. The checks that are done, and the
corresponding codenames for that reason, are (in chronological order):

1. non-writable-device
2. not-installed-with-tails-installer
3. no-incremental-upgrade-path
4. not-enough-free-space
5. not-enough-free-memory

If one check does not pass, the others are not performed; in practice,
there might be multiple reasons why an incremental upgrade is not
possible, but we're only saving one. I think this should be enough to
substantially improve UX, though.

So, when advising the user to do a manual (full) upgrade, we can now
insert a sentence that's specific to the primary reason why we cannot
do an incremental upgrade, e.g.:

  1. "Tails was not started from a writable device."
  2. "The device Tails is running from was not created using
     Tails Installer."
  3. "The Tails project does not provide an incremental upgrade to
     this version." (e.g. will be the case for 1.1, most likely)
  4. "There is not enough free space on the Tails system partition" (a
     bit too technical, but how to express that without having tons of
     people nagging user support because, oh well, they have space
     left on their persistent volume?)
  5. "Not enough memory is available on this system."

Improvements are welcome.