Re: [Tails-dev] Please review draft documentation for IUK

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review draft documentation for IUK
intrigeri:
> intrigeri wrote (26 Dec 2013 13:34:43 GMT) :
>
>>> Applied (as found on the blueprint).
>
>> So, this reads:
>
>>                     "You should manually upgrade to %{name}s %{version}s.\n\n".
>>                     "For more information about this new version, go to %{details_url}s.\n\n".
>>                     "Note that it is not possible to do an automatic upgrade ".
>>                     "on your system. Automatic upgrades are only possible on ".
>>                     "a Tails device installed using Tails Installer.\n\n".
>>                     "To learn how to manually upgrade, go to ".
>>                     "https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/upgrade/#manual",

>> I find this confusing for users who would be pointed to the manual
>> upgrade despite they have installed Tails with our installer,
>> e.g. because there isn't enough free space on the system partition, or
>> not enough free memory to apply the incremental upgrade.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> Did I miss your reply on that one?

Actually, I'm the one who missed your question.

You are right, the reasons to force a manual upgrade can be many. I
tried to fix that with commit b0e9acb4 on the blueprint.

It's a shame that we don't provide more information on why it is not
possible to do an automatic upgrade. The resulting dialog is a bit
mysterious but the different reasons are explain in the documentation. I
think that's how far we can get for the moment.

I let you think about how hard it would be to be a bit more informative
inside that same dialog, and decide on how much you feel like improving
on that.

I also added commit c417569 on feature/incremental-upgrades-integration.