Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofin…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofing in Tails
This is how the MAC address option looks in the Greeter:

sajolida@???:
>     Spoof all MAC addresses
>     =======================

>     This option hides the serial number of your network cards to the
>     local networks. This can help you hide your geographical location.

>     It is generally safer to spoof MAC addresses, but it might also
>     raise suspicion or cause network connection problems.
>     See the documentation.

>     [x] Spoof all MAC addresses

I tested this option yesterday with a fellow Tails user, which is not a
native. The word "spoof" happened to be problematic. According to
the Microsoft Manual of Style, a secret reference of mine :), it is
all-right to use the "spoofing" but it needs to be explained first
if we are not sure that our users will understand it. Well... that's
exactly what happened to me.

So we tried to make it a tiny bit more explicit that the first sentence
of the option is actually a definition of "spoofing". Plus I changed the
title of the option from a verb to a noun, like the other options, and
it is also the title of the documentation page: "MAC address spoofing".

So here is our updated proposal:

«

MAC address spoofing

Spoofing MAC addresses hides the serial number of your network cards to
the local networks. This can help you hide your geographical location.

It is generally safer to spoof MAC addresses, but it might also
raise suspicion or cause network connection problems.
See the documentation.

[x] Spoof all MAC addresses

»

More feedback later.