Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofin…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofing in Tails
Hi,

sajolida@??? wrote (23 Oct 2013 11:49:26 GMT) :
> d. I changed the checkbox into radio buttons. The implications of this
> option is quite different if bridges or obfuscated bridges are used:
> then the user might be actively trying to AvoidSuspicion and
> AvoidIdTails and spoofing MAC might becomes dangerous if used at home,
> or at work for example. So we could remove the default setting and force
> the user to make a decision when using bridges. What do you think?

When they're using bridges to workaround censorship (likely the most
common usecase, compared to avoiding suspicion, I guess), then I don't
think we should force users to *not* spoof their MAC address; I'm not
even sure it would be reasonable to change the default setting value
to "don't spoof MAC". So perhaps it's a bit more complicated. I trust
we'll find a solution, though!