Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofin…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofing in Tails
On 23/10/13 18:56, intrigeri wrote:
> sajolida@??? wrote (23 Oct 2013 11:49:26 GMT) :
>> d. I changed the checkbox into radio buttons. The implications of this
>> option is quite different if bridges or obfuscated bridges are used:
>> then the user might be actively trying to AvoidSuspicion and
>> AvoidIdTails and spoofing MAC might becomes dangerous if used at home,
>> or at work for example. So we could remove the default setting and force
>> the user to make a decision when using bridges. What do you think?
>
> When they're using bridges to workaround censorship (likely the most
> common usecase, compared to avoiding suspicion, I guess), then I don't
> think we should force users to *not* spoof their MAC address; I'm not
> even sure it would be reasonable to change the default setting value
> to "don't spoof MAC". So perhaps it's a bit more complicated. I trust
> we'll find a solution, though!

Just to clarify. In my proposal there would be *no default value* when
bridges are used. So the user would have to choose explicitly between
spoof and not spoof every time. And the explanation to help her make the
right decision would still be:

    It is generally safer to spoof MAC addresses, but it might also
    raise suspicion or cause network connection problems.
    See the documentation.