[Tails-dev] Please review draft documentation for IUK

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] Please review draft documentation for IUK
I pushed the draft documentation for IUK to
feature/incremental-upgrades-integration, see eee4313..5f3f56b.

The main course is:

http://git.tails.boum.org/tails/tree/wiki/src/doc/first_steps/upgrade.mdwn?h=feature/incremental-upgrades-integration

As always, think about the structure of the doc, the workflow, and the
content first, then go into the phrasing if you want. I'll do the markup
later on.

I also had to propose several changes to the dialogs and error messages.
So here they are. I hope it's clear which blob I'm referring to. I added
some notes flagged XXX along the way. The title of the section should be
the titles of the windows but I think that most of them were already ok.

Not enough memory available
---------------------------

*Not enough memory available to check for upgrades.*

- Make sure this system satisfies the requirements for running Tails.
See file:///usr/share/doc/tails/website/doc/about/requirements.en.html
- Try to restart Tails and upgrade again.
- Or do a manual upgrade.
See https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/upgrade#manual

XXX: I get this error message when trying to do the upgrade from a VM
     with 1024MB. That's in contradiction with what is on the
     requirement page at the moment.

Error while checking for upgrades
---------------------------------

*Could not determine whether an upgrade is available from our website.*

Check your network connection, and restart Tails to try upgrading again.

If the problem persists, go to
file:///usr/share/doc/tails/website/doc/upgrade/error/check.en.html.

*Debugging information*

#1. Upgrade available
---------------------

*You should upgrade to Tails 0.22.*

For more information, go to https://tails.boum.org/news/version_0.22/.

Note that:

- It is recommended to close all the open applications during the upgrade.
- Downloading the upgrade might take a long time, from several minutes
to a few hours.
- The networking will be disabled after downloading the upgrade.

Download size: 201 MB

Do you want to upgrade now?

[Upgrade later] [Upgrade now]

XXX: Round the download size.
XXX: Use MB instead of MiB?
XXX: The link shouldn't be clickable if you cannot click on it.
     People can do almost the same copy paste operation, or copy it
     manually.

#1. New version available
-------------------------

*You should manually upgrade to Tails 0.22.*

For more information, go to https://tails.boum.org/news/version_0.22/.

Note that it is not possible to do an automatic upgrade on your
system. Automatic upgrades are only possible on a Tails device
installed using Tails Installer.

Download size: 916 MB

Do you want to download the ISO image now?

[Cancel] [Download]

XXX: I get an error when clicking on "Download":
     (gksudo:4338): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_str_has_prefix: assertion `str
     != NULL' failed
     localuser:tails-upgrade-frontend being removed from access control
     list

#2. Downloading upgrade
-----------------------

Downloading the upgrade to Tails 0.22...

XXX: Use "upgrade to"
XXX: Don't use "please", as we are not to blame if the download is slow

Error while downloading the upgrade
-----------------------------------

*The upgrade could not be downloaded.*

Check your network connection, and restart Tails to try upgrading again.

If the problem persists, go to
file:///usr/share/doc/tails/website/doc/upgrade/error/download.en.html.

*Debugging information*

XXX: Does it make sense to add the URL in the debugging information as
     it might already be in the stderr?

#3. Upgrading the system
------------------------

*Your Tails device is being upgraded...*

For security reasons, the networking is now disabled.

Error while installing the upgrade
----------------------------------

*An error occured while installing the upgrade.*

Your Tails device needs to be repaired and might be unable to restart.

Please follow the instructions at
file:///usr/share/doc/tails/website/doc/upgrade/error/install.en.html

*Debugging information*

#4. Restart Tails

*Your Tails device was successfully upgraded.*

Some security features were temporarily disabled.
You should restart Tails on the new version as soon as possible.

Do you want to restart now?

[Restart later] [Restart now]