Re: [Tails-dev] Please review draft documentation for IUK

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review draft documentation for IUK
intrigeri wrote (25 Dec 2013 18:54:12 GMT) :
>> Not enough memory available
>> ---------------------------

> Applied, but I had to turn the bullet list into something else, and

> Not enough memory available to check for upgrades.

> Make sure this system satisfies the requirements for running Tails.
> See file:///usr/share/doc/tails/website/doc/about/requirements/index.en.html.

> Try to restart Tails and upgrade again.

Actually, "upgrade again" seems suboptimal: first, it suggests that
the user has something specific to do, which is wrong; second, this is
not about upgrading, but merely about checking for upgrades.

> Or do a manual upgrade.
> See https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/upgrade#manual

>> XXX: I get this error message when trying to do the upgrade from a VM
>>      with 1024MB. That's in contradiction with what is on the
>>      requirement page at the moment.

> IIRC, I've seen that too when the web browser was open, but not
> otherwise. Can you confirm this? Also, we're running many various
> programs in parallel (and in the background) at login time, so the
> results might be a little bit racy / random in this area.

> Perhaps we should just merge feature/dont_autostart_iceweasel to
> workaround this issue (IIRC that branch was only blocked by the broken
> test suite, and it looks like, thanks to bertagaz, I might be able to
> fix that in the next few days).

> Anyway, the requirements page also says one can use Tails on a DVD,
> and then one doesn't get incremental upgrades either, so personally
> I'm not *that* concerned even if incremental upgrades require, say,
> a bit more than 1GB of RAM. On the long run, I'll port all this stuff
> from Moose to Moo, and we'll save some RAM — WIP (e.g. I've proposed
> a patch upstream to port GnuPG::Interface to Moo today).

Re-thinking of it a bit, this might be a bit more serious than
I thought initially. I still hold the position that it's fine if
applying an incremental upgrade requires a bit more than 1GB of RAM.

However, *checking* for available upgrades should work with the
minimal recommended amount of RAM. So, *if* it's enough to close the
web browser to make this work (which I believe, and will try to
confirm later today -> #6535), then I'll mark this as blocked by #5735
("dont autostart iceweasel") and will work on completing that one too.

Worst case, if even closing the browser is not enough, then I'll have
to find another solution or workaround.