Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofin…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] Design (and prototype) for MAC spoofing in Tails
anonym:
> Tails prototype branch: feature/spoof-mac
> Tails Greeter prototype branch: feature/spoof-mac
> Ticket: https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5421 (and sub-tickets)
>
> Below are the initial design after an internal discussion. It's
> up-to-date version can be found at:
>
>     https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/macchanger/

> All comments are welcome!

Something else I thought about while cleaning up the forum. When Tails
is run from a virtual machine, then it might not be possible to change
the MAC address. And also, we might not be able to assume that changing
the MAC address works on absolutely every possible hardware. So I guess
we should detect those situations when changing the MAC address doesn't
work and warn the user accordingly.

Ideally, if we could check first if it is possible to change the MAC,
then we could display an appropriate user interface or warning first,
instead of pretending that everything will work and then displaying an
fat error message.