Re: [Tails-dev] Tor Launcher extension [Was: Mike's March 20…

Author: Kathleen Brade
To: intrigeri, Mike Perry
CC: tails-dev, Mark Smith
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tor Launcher extension [Was: Mike's March 2013]
On 10/22/13 2:12 PM, intrigeri wrote:
> And then, someone suggested turning Tor Launcher into an autonomous
> XUL application. I've not thought this through yet, but it does seem
> this would be enough to allow us to simply s/Vidalia/Tor Launcher/.
> Are there plans to do so? How hard would you expect it to be for
> someone skilled in this area? Would you want to do it, for the sake of
> the greater Tor community?

Mike would need to comment on priorities, but at present Mark and I are
pretty busy with TBB work. But it would be nice to find a way for Tails
to use Tor Launcher.

I don't know how much work it would be to create a standalone XUL
application. You could use a "from the ground up" approach (like
Firefox or Thunderbird), or you could use XULRunner, or you could use
Firefox's -app switch to host the application.

Can you describe your requirements in more detail? Here are some of our
questions:

- Do you use Vidalia to launch tor (I would guess not) or just as a
controller to allow people to adjust settings?

- What features of Vidalia do you need? Currently, Tor Launcher only
provides "start tor", network settings, and "Copy Tor Log to Clipboard"
capabilities. Within the TBB Browser, users can create a new identity
but that is handled by Tor Button.

- Does the Tor network settings window need to be displayed at login
time, e.g., to allow configuration before tor touches the network?

- How do you currently prevent the desktop user from reconfiguring tor?

-- Kathy Brade
-- Pearl Crescent, LLC